Re: Postgres and Perl: Which DBI module?

От Phil Dobbin
Тема Re: Postgres and Perl: Which DBI module?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/8/02 at 19:23, arguile@lucentstudios.com (Arguile) wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 18:45, phildobbin@pobox.com wrote:

[...]

> > I _think_ Pg and DBD::Pg are the same thing, just different ways of
> > saying things (i.e. Pg module would be DBD::Pg).
>
> Nope. That's what I was saying. Pg is NOT DBD::Pg. The module that
> comes
> bundled with Postgres is Pg, a very low level wrapper.
>
> > I called it from CPAN after all ;-)
>
> http://search.cpan.org/doc/MERGL/pgsql_perl5-1.9.0/Pg.pm -- CPAN Pg
> http://search.cpan.org/doc/JBAKER/DBD-Pg-1.13/dbd-pg.pod -- CPAN
> DBD::Pg
>
> Very different modules.
>
> (Edmund Mergl originally wrote both, Jeffery Baker recently took over
> maintaining DBD::Pg)
>
> > In order to use DBI/DBD with postgres, it's the only way
> > to do it as far as I can see (``There's more than one way to do it"
> anon ;-)
> >
> > O'Reilly's ``PostgreSQL" and ``Programming the Perl DBI" are both
> pretty
> > vague on this (I have both). I'll also post to dbi-perl and see what
> > gives (or what Tim Bunce sez...).
>
> I fully agree. The PostgreSQL book only talks about the bundled module
> (Pg) and PL/Perl and both only to mention they exist. 'Programming the
> Perl DBI' just includes DBD::Pg's POD in the appendix, the
> installation
> instructions are actually in the README in the archive.
>
> Maybe it's time to add an interactive bit to the modules install (with
> flag to deactivate it). This question crops up often and it makes CPAN
> installs hard for many people.

Thanks a lot for the clear, concise explanation. I'm sorry to have kept banging on when clearly digging myself a hole
:-)

Your suggestion for making this more straightforward is a very good idea and would help a lot of people migrating to
postgresand wanting to use DBI.

Thanks for your patience and good advice.

Best regards,

Phil.